Why I Give: Dr. Elke Howe

For nearly 10 consecutive years, Dr. Elke Howe has made it a priority to donate to the Engineering Technology Department at Missouri Southern.

The department head, who has been with the university since 2001, knows the impact donors have on her program and students.

“Using modern tools means having high-tech equipment, and that can be expensive,” she says. “A few years ago, Leggett & Platt donated an industrial robot system; we’ve had 3D printers donated; and recently a mystery donor gave us a piece of equipment for our CNC machine that will accelerate tool changes.”

Howe says that there is a great case to be made for the university’s own faculty and staff to make individual gifts.

“I love coming to work every day, and I feel lucky to have this job,” Howe says. “I don’t look at it as giving back to my employer, but giving to a university that does a great job for its students and the community.”

Kevin Greim, associate vice president for University Development, says faculty/staff giving at Missouri Southern is a source of pride.

“Sometimes the difference between a great student experience and an exceptional one comes down to the generosity of a donor,” he says. “Dr. Howe and many others realize they can impact their own programs with their own philanthropy.”