JUNIORS CAM MARTIN, ZOE CAMPBELL TALK RECORD-BREAKING BASKETBALL SEASON

CAM MARTIN

Cam Martin’s junior season on the hardwood was memorable – in more ways than one.

Of course, the season as a whole was dampened by the fact that the COVID-19 pandemic made it end abruptly prior to the start of the NCAA Tournament. But before its untimely end, the 6’9” center moved his name up a number of Missouri Southern men’s basketball all-time lists.

Most notably, his new single-game scoring record of 54 points against Missouri Western on Feb. 22.

“I didn’t know how close I was until late in the game,” Martin said. “But I knew what the record was.”

And that’s because he tied the previous mark the season before – 49 points against Minnesota State, putting him atop the list with former Lion Carl Tyler, who scored 49 against, ironically, Missouri Western during the 1983-84 season.

Martin, who averaged 24.1 points and 9.2 rebounds during his junior campaign, is the only MSSU basketball player to ever score 700 or more points in a season twice (720 during the 2018-19 and 746 this season), and currently ranks 11th on the school’s all-time scoring list (1,466 points – 674 points shy of Greg Garton’s all-time mark of 2,140).

He has 594 career rebounds and will most likely finish third in program history (Elyjah Clark holds that spot with 735), and has 81 career blocks, just nine shy of tying Osiris Ricardo for fifth on the all-time list.

This season’s accolades were impressive, as well. He was named an All- American by both the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) and the Conference Commissioner’s Association (CCA), first-team All- Region by both the NABC and the CCA, first-team All-MIAA, was a member of the All-MIAA Tournament Team – and in early April, was named one of 14 finalists, nationwide, for the annual Bevo Francis Award, presented by Small College Basketball to the Player of the Year.

“It was a huge accomplishment individually,” he said. “But we really wanted a conference championship and a national championship. When we get that is when I’ll be satisfied.”

ZOE CAMPBELL

Zoe Campbell’s junior season for the Missouri Southern women’s basketball team will be one to remember – and one for the record books.

The 6’3” center from Caloundra, Australia, set the single-game record for blocked shots (7 vs. Harding University on Nov. 11), shattered the single-season record for blocked shots (62) and broke the school’s all- time record for blocked shots (113). Caryn Schumaker (’87-’91) held the previous mark of 109 blocked shots.

“It feels good,” said Campbell. “I really feel like I’ve accomplished something, and I still have another year here.”

“To see her continue to develop and blossom like this has been really nice,” said Ronnie Ressel, MSSU women’s head coach. “She’s just such a great kid.”

And while Campbell will add to her career record during her senior season, she’s quick to shift the attention to one of her teammates – Madi Stokes, a 6’3” redshirt freshman center from Cassville, Mo, who’s coming off a season where she blocked 33 shots.

“Madi’s probably going to end up breaking it,” said Campbell. “That’s way more than the number I had my freshman year (Campbell had 11). But either way, I’ll be happy.”