Warren Turner Leads Office to 5K Course

“Once a man has made a commitment to a way of life, he puts the greatest strength in the world behind him. It’s something we call heart power. Once a man has made this commitment, nothing will stop him short of success.”

The quote, credited to legendary football coach Vince Lombardi, is one of many Warren Turner shared with his students – members of the university’s faculty, staff and administration – taking the Office to 5K class this fall at Missouri Southern.

“My biggest job is motivating them, so I send out sayings weekly and constantly give them handouts,” said Turner. “People sometimes aren’t self-motivators, so you have to do things to help them with that situation.”

Turner, a member of the MSSU Athletics Hall of Fame, MIAA and Missouri Sports Hall of Fame, is legendary in his own right, having served as baseball coach from 1977-07 and taking teams to national tournaments five times. The university’s new baseball stadium was dedicated in his honor in 2015.

Coaching the 5K class, which concluded with a 5K on campus before the Thanksgiving break, is a way to give back to Missouri Southern, said Turner.

“I’m trying to pay back for all that Missouri Southern did for me over the years,” he said. “If I can pay back by helping faculty and staff improve their fitness levels and stay in shape, then I feel pretty good about it.”