‘A Personal and Professional Honor’: Dr. Alan Marble, MSSU president, announces retirement

Referring to his time as president of Missouri Southern State University as one of the greatest personal and professional honors of his career, Dr. Alan Marble announced his upcoming retirement during this fall’s All-Employee Welcome Back meeting.

“Six years ago, I was afforded one of the greatest personal and professional honors of my career when I became the first alumnus to serve as president of this distinguished institution,” he said. “I am honored to have served alongside Missouri Southern faculty and staff as we’ve made great strides in research, student success, teaching and community impact. We are continuing to come together, for the good of our students, as a dynamic, strong and thriving university.

“Because of this positive momentum, my family and I believe this is the right time for me to step down. Through much self-reflection, I have decided to re-energize and refocus on my family. I am excited to spend more time making precious memories with them.”

Marble said that he will retire as of June 30, 2020. The Board of Governors is moving forward with the search process that will select Missouri Southern’s sixth president. Alison Hershewe, chair of the Board of Governors’ personnel committee, will also chair the presidential search committee.

“We fully understand the eagerness expressed by our students, faculty, staff, alumni and community as we prepare for the next chapter in our history,” she said.

“We all share the same high hopes for this institution, and finding the right leader to continue our forward momentum and campus culture that was established under Dr. Marble’s tenure is key to our success. Our goal is to be as transparent as possible throughout this process. We want to hear from everyone as Missouri Southern continues to play a large role in the economic growth of the community.”