Dr. Jeffrey Zimmerman has joined Missouri Southern as the new dean of the Plaster School of Business.

Zimmerman began his new position on July 1. He succeeded Dr. Chris Moos, who served as the school’s interim dean for the past year.

He received his bachelor’s in computer science and economics from State University of New York at Albany in 1984, and a master of arts degree in economics from West Virginia University in 1986. He obtained his master’s of science in economics from Purdue University in 1988, and his Ph.D. in economics three years later.

His professional experience includes serving as an assistant professor of economics at the University of New Hampshire from 1990-91 and at Ithaca College from 1991-92, and from 1992-94 at Clarkson University in Potsdam, N.Y. Zimmerman served at Methodist University in Fayetteville, N.C., from 1996-2011, both in the classroom and as dean of the Reeves School of Business & Economics from 2004-11. He served as dean of the College of Business at Indiana Tech from 2011-16.

He said that he’s excited by the possibilities that come with his new position at Southern.

“Coming (to Missouri Southern) from outside, there seems to be a world of opportunities here and I’m really excited,” said Zimmerman.

Asked about his vision for the School of Business, he recalls that he was posed the same question during the interview process.

“When I came here to interview, they wanted to know what my vision was,” he said. “I told them my vision didn’t matter. Our vision matters … I just told them what I could contribute. My contribution will be along the lines of expanding our accreditation, ensuring that our programs are exciting and market-relevant, and becoming more interwoven with the community.”