Sophomore Emily Presley Setting a High Bar for Success

• A sophomore at Missouri Southern State University is soaring to new heights as a member of the women’s track and field team.

Emily Presley, a pole vaulter from St. Clair, Mo., won her event five meets in a row this spring and was named MIAA Co-Field Athlete of the Week three times. At the Pittsburg State track meet, she won the pole vault by clearing 14-00.00, which solidified her spot as the top pole vaulter in Division II.

Presley has been pole vaulting since seventh grade, when she attended a camp at Missouri Southern. She says her experience with the MSSU track and field team has been amazing.

“I am just super happy that we have the coaches and staff that we do here in the athletics department overall,” she says. “I still have a lot of room to grow and I have a lot of goals that I have set for myself.”

She says she has thought about going pro, and that she feels that she is on track to get there.

“I just need to stay on task because I have a set of tasks that I need to accomplish every season.”

Presley says her favorite part about pole vaulting is the rush of adrenaline that comes along with it. “I can practice all week and then I get to the meet and it’s a whole new ball game,” she says.

“The adrenaline I get from clearing a big bar is like nothing else.”

You May Also Like

Alumni Director Receives Athena Award from Carthage Chamber

Lee Elliff Pound, director of the Missouri Southern Alumni Association, was the recipient of ...

Alumni Gather for Joplin Junior College Reunion

More than 150 former students and guests gathered for the first-ever Joplin Junior College ...