Smith named regional vice president for PBL

• Emmalee Smith, a junior marketing and management major from Carthage, has been elected to serve as the national vice president for the North Central Region of Phi Beta Lambda.

The PBL club is the collegiate equivalent of Future Business Leaders of America – an educational association of postsecondary student members preparing for careers in business. The election took place during the PBL National Leadership Conference held during the summer in Atlanta, Ga.

“I knew last year’s vice president. She enjoyed the experience and recommended me for it,” said Smith. “I applied, developed a two day campaign, gave a speech to members of our region and then won the election.

“This is the 75th year for FBLA-PBL, so my slogan was ‘Emmalee Smith in the 75th.’ The color theme went along with the organization’s colors – blue and gold. My speech and campaign revolved around their three pillars – service, education and progress. I’m very passionate about the organization.”

As vice president for the North Central Region, she will serve as the primary student liaison between the national organization and chapters in Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin.

“I’ll help the eight states work with the national organization,” said Smith. “I’ll reach out to state officers and see if they need assistance with their meetings or state conferences.”

During the national conference, Smith also received a national championship in the Business Communications category.

PBL, in association with FBLA, is the oldest and largest business organization for students. There are more than 10,000 active members in the United States, including 20 chapters with 350 members in Missouri. Stu Dunlop, marketing/management professor, serves as adviser for the Missouri Southern chapter.

You May Also Like

Carrington Harrison co-hosts top-rated sports talk show in Kansas City

IN THE DRIVER’S SEAT For Carrington Harrison, the appeal of radio is in its ...

Nursing program to add spring cohort

An increase in the number of students in the nursing program, as well as ...

Rob Corn among Hall of Fame inductees

When you think of MSSU basketball, you think of Rob Corn – a vital ...