Logan Moon steps up for first season with Northwest Arkansas Naturals

Batter Up!

In June of 2014, Logan Moon – then a senior centerfielder for the Lions – was selected by the Kansas City Royals in the sixth round of the first-year player entry draft.

In short order, he found himself playing rookie ball in Burlington, N.C. He skipped advanced rookie ball the next year, playing the following season for the Wilmington Blue Rocks – an advanced Single-A team in Wilmington, Del.

He played with the Kansas City Royals during five spring training games and was assigned to the Northwest Arkansas Naturals – a Double-A team in Springdale, Ark. From there? Moon says he’s more focused on playing his best, but he knows what the stakes are.

“Thinking long term is tough in baseball. There are so many different scenarios that can happen,” he said. “Obviously, the next step is working hard and eventually move up to AAA. After that, you either go to the majors or you’re done. Those are the biggest and hardest steps to make.”

Moon recently spoke with Crossroads about playing for the Naturals.

On playing AA baseball

“Double A is where it starts to get as competitive as it can get. It’s tough, and it’s a good league to judge for yourself if you can actually play for the Major League. About 15 of the guys I’ve faced pitching-wise made their Major League debuts this year.”

“It’s tough, but that’s what the Double-A and Triple-A coaches are for … they’re there for our development to make better players. They know what it takes and want the best for us. They do what they can to make sure we’re taking the right steps and doing the right things to become major league ballplayers.”

Missouri Southern’s coaching staff

“I still have an amazing relationship with the coaching staff. Even though I was there just one year, they made me feel like I had already been there for three. I still talk to those guys every week – about personal things, family and friends. But also we talk about what the Royals have been teaching me, what I’ve learned to do in this or that situation. We’re constantly talking about baseball.”

Staying connected with fans

“Springdale is a pretty big town and the fans are awesome. But I run into a lot of people who come down to say hi, who tell me they’re going to Missouri Southern, or that they have family in Joplin. That kind of thing is cool.”

You May Also Like

Great Britain Semester offers timely talks, music and theater

Missouri Southern’s selection of Great Britain for the Fall 2016 themed semester was a ...

Nursing program to add spring cohort

An increase in the number of students in the nursing program, as well as ...